Poisonous death cap mushrooms

This mushroom was growing on the U.S. courthouse lawn in Fairbanks, Alaska.

The Most Dangerous Mushroom
The death cap is spreading. It looks, smells, and tastes delicious.

https://slate.com/technology/2014/02/most-dangerous-mushroom-death-cap-is-spreading-but-poisoning-can-be-treated.html

Many of them grow here in the summer, and I heard a rumor that the neighbor’s dog went blind after sniffing a mushroom like this. I think there must be some relationship between toxic mushrooms and the toxic mold that tends to grow in buildings with poorly maintained roofs, windows, doors, or ventilation systems.

Exposure to damp and moldy environments may cause a variety of health effects, or none at all. Some people are sensitive to molds. For these people, exposure to molds can lead to symptoms such as stuffy nose, wheezing, and red or itchy eyes, or skin. Some people, such as those with allergies to molds or with asthma, may have more intense reactions.

https://www.cdc.gov/mold/faqs.htm

There must be individual variations in sensitivity and immunity to toxic fungi, whether mushrooms or molds, but at the same time I do think that some of these fungi are deadly and capable of killing no matter what.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.